The Village of Bal Harbour is located on the northern tip of Miami Beach and covers an area of 0.6 square miles. On August 14, 1946 the Village was incorporated and the first Council elected. From the beginning, the Village was envisioned as a modern community that would maintain exceptionally high standards, provide superior services and foster civic pride.
Bolstered by Miami’s post war prosperity, Bal Harbour’s growth escalated with the rapid sale of residential lots, the development of community resources and the construction of hotels. In the 1950′s, Bal Harbour and Miami Beach were considered America’s Riviera, a magnet for the era’s top musicians and entertainers. Frank Sinatra and his “Rat Pack” frequented the Americana’s Carnival Supper Club. Bal Harbour’s hotels quickly became the chosen destination for countless dignitaries, celebrities, and presidents.
The Bal Harbour Shops are a 500,000 square foot, open-air shopping mall, anchored by Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue department stores. With over one hundred top designer boutiques and fashion designers, including DSquared2, Richard Mille, Chanel, Dolce & Gabana, Fendi, Bonpoint, Prada and others, it is considered to comparable to Rodeo Drive, or the streets of Milan, London, or Paris. There is also a large selection of the finest restaurants, outdoor cafes, and bistros, with menus offering Italian, French, Japanese, and American cuisines.